Before signing up with Sling Pilot Academy, make sure you meet the following prerequisites:
Age and Legal Status
- Minimum age: 18
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a First Class Airman’s Medical Certificate
- Current Passport or US Birth Certificate
- If not a US-Citizen, be legally allowed to reside and study in the US (at present we cannot help with study visas), and have passed a TSA background check
- Note that a criminal record can reduce your chances of being hired by an airline
- Must be able to fluently speak, read, write and understand the English language
Height and Weight
Due to aircraft limitations, students taller than 6’3″ or weighing more than 220 lbs may not be able to train at SPA.
Make sure you can qualify for a First Class Airman’s Medical Certificate.
If you are serious about a career as a commercial pilot, you must first make sure that you are in a position to pass a first class medical. The medical is performed by an Aeromedical Examiner (AME). You can find an AME near you at http://faa.gov/pilots/amelocator . Once you have found an AME you can complete the initial portion of the application at http://medxpress.faa.gov (FAA MedXpress). Note: Please ensure your name on your medical certificate matches your drivers license exactly.
Important Medical Note: certain medical conditions and medications are disqualifying. Please educate yourself to ensure you do not have a medical condition, psychiatric disorder, or take medication that could render you unable to earn a First Class Medical (required to be an airline pilot). Ref: FAA Disqualifying Conditions; FAA Disqualifying Medications; AOPA Medical Resources.
Have Funding Secured
Calculate your Total Cost of Attendance by using this form. If you require financial assistance it’s best to begin the process early. You must be able to demonstrate financial independence or have a Guarantor (co-signer) for the loan. Sling Pilot Academy is partnered with AOPA for flight training finance. You can apply for for a loan to cover some or all of the costs involved in our program.
If you meet these prerequisites, continue to First Steps