FAA Validation of Foreign Certificate – good for visiting the US, not for adding ratings

A straight FAA validation of a foreign PPL is quite easy and requires some paperwork and a meeting at a US FSDO. However, this results in an FAA Pilot certificate ‘issued on the basis of a foreign certificate’. This certificate requires the foreign PPL to be maintained and cannot be used to add on additional ratings (for example our Accelerated Course). Instructions are here:

You will need a Regular FAA Pilot Certificate to Add Ratings and/or join our Accelerated Course

In order to add ratings to an FAA Pilot Certificate (for example to join our Accelerated Course) you need a regular FAA Pilot Certificate (not one based on a foreign certificate). For this you need to meet the experience requirements (log flight training in the areas required) and study/prepare for and take the the FAA Knowledge Test and Practical (oral/flight) Test with an FAA examiner or Designated Pilot Examiner. Luckily, most/all of your logged foreign time counts.

Sling Pilot Academy can help you through this process, which would look like this:

  • Help you through the process of getting TSA approval to take flight training in the USA (if a foreign citizen)
  • Review your foreign training record and determine what FAA certificate requirements still need to be met (for example Night training not received/logged)
  • Assist you in preparation for the FAA Knowledge Test (computer test)
  • Assist you with ground training covering all knowledge areas required for the Oral Test, including FAA Aviation Regulations
  • Provide flight training in preparation of the Practical Test, getting you familiar with the aircraft, the airspace and going over all maneuvers in the Airmen Certification Standards
  • Scheduling a Practical Test with an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner

Once you have completed all of these steps you have an FAA Private Pilot Certificate and with that and at least 80 hours of total time you can join our 6-month Accelerated Program (“from Private”).